LIFESTYLE
Freeway X BenCab National Artist Collection launched
TENNIS
Review: Babolat Propulse 4
TRAVEL
#WhyILove Cathay Pacific Premium Economy
TRAVEL
Mirabell Palace and Gardens in Salzburg
Photography
On jewellery (or jewelry) photography
DEX N MUT: BEST BULALO IN TOWN
Bulalo with rice all you can
Posted by Dexter Matilla - - 0 comments


If there's one franchise film outside of the Marvel Studios that I look forward to, it's the one with the web-crawler. I am such a big fan of 'The Amazing Spider-Man' that saw Andrew Garfield as the new titular character and while I felt that while the film took a little time to establish a back-story once more (a problem with reboots), it had enough action, wit, and incredible camera-work to truly set the tone moving forward.

So I'll be the last person any one would need to convince to see the sequel. But last night I got to see in 3D exactly what 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' is all about. I'll break it down into segments and hopefully I don't miss out on some of the stand-out scenes that made me re-assess which holds the lead so far as being the best comic-book film of 2014 or maybe even in the past six years.

'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' will show more of Peter Parker's father, Richard (Campbell Scott) and the works he has done. Without giving anything away, I am impressed with how this character is portrayed and is as tough as they come. He is no pushover is what I would say and immediately, you get the idea where Peter's brashness comes from.

Now, I read the comic books and what is Spider-Man without his quips? The first few scenes will introduce one of the villains and as Spider-Man tries to foil his plans, we get some of that "humour" that thankfully doesn't go overboard. There's a particular sequence that was really impressive involving Spider-Man doing some juggling and web-shooting at the same time.

I'm still not a fan of 3D in films and I can count in one hand the films that I could suggest seeing in this particular format. But I may have to use both hands now as 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' has just been added in the list. I'll justify it later when I talk about the scenes with the next villain. The 3D scenes in this opening act is just a taste now that I think about how awesome the next ones are. I've been trying to think of the word to describe it but I guess "fluid" would suffice. And it's just the right amount of "fluidity" that will still make you see details despite all the swinging around. Your eyes can catch even small props that would have been normally lost in the screen unless shot to be intentionally focused on by the camera. Let's just say that while I can't say it's perfect, it's better than HFR 3D.

Anyways, the story of course has the boy and the girl in Peter and Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone). They haven't seen each other in a while and there's a very sweet scene that I felt worked greatly and will be one that I will think back to if and when the eventual happens to Gwen in this film or the next (oops not too spoiler-free if you don't read the comics). But the conversation they had, being in front of one another once again was just too touching. I really felt their love for one another.

Enter Electro. I can't not name this villain, I guess because I will have to talk about how awesome this portrayal is. When Jamie Foxx was revealed to be Max Dillon a.k.a. Electro, people were naturally "shocked". Foxx is a really good actor and as the bumbling mumbling Max, he delivers. When he turns into Electro, well you really focus less into the acting and more into the action. The CGI is really, really, really good in bringing this villain to life. You easily understand his power and how he sees the world. This is not the goofy Electro in the comics. This is a bad-ass who is essentially an immortal in this film especially when he and another villain decide to team up.

I particularly enjoyed one of Electro's display of power. It had me going "wow" as they utilized a bullet-time effect that likewise lets you see just how fast Spider-Man thinks. It's the details really, and it was just too good.

Then there's Dane DeHaan. First publicity images of him in this film gave you the idea that this is a rich, spoiled, emo kid and how can he be a goblin? Well, let me tell you that his Harry Osborn is evil. The maniacal look in his eyes is every bit the Norman Osborn in the comics.

And what is a Marvel film without a Stan Lee cameo? I think this is the best "wink" to the audience cameo so far by the man believed to be the-one-above-all.

So there, I hope I didn't give away too much, just enough to get you excited to head to the theatres for "The Amazing Spider-Man 2", which opens April 30 in the Philippines, ahead of the US showing.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read

Recent Posts


Wilson Juice 100 Playtest

Recent comments

Get Recent Comments Widget
Twitter Bird Gadget