LIFESTYLE
Freeway X BenCab National Artist Collection launched
TENNIS
Review: Babolat Propulse 4
TRAVEL
#WhyILove Cathay Pacific Premium Economy
TRAVEL
Mirabell Palace and Gardens in Salzburg
Photography
On jewellery (or jewelry) photography
DEX N MUT: BEST BULALO IN TOWN
Bulalo with rice all you can
Posted by Dexter Matilla - - 4 comments


During a visit to Divisoria yesterday for some shopping (yes), I took a picture of something that really bothered me:


Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

See, when I go on trips whether for work or vacation, I always pay attention to the "welcome" sign of every  city or district that I'm visiting for the first time. I take a mental picture of it because I find it easy to recall whenever people ask me, have you been to this place or that place?

While I may not seem like it, I consider myself an old soul. I simply adore the simplicity of the past and everything related to it. Just like I said in an old article:
THERE was a time when Manila used to be one huge playground.
There were less cars on the streets. Horse-drawn calesas were one of the major transportation alternatives. Every once in a while, you’d get a glimpse of an ox used as a mobile bazaar by a vendor of household furniture.
For me, it's easy to relate to things with history, which is why I really had to take a picture of the atrocity that is in the picture. The sign reads "Welcome to Brgy. 287, Zone 27" and on the next line, with a bigger font size it says "courtesy of HANFORD".

My question is, why does the city allow something like this? If I were a first-timer going to Divisoria for some really good deals on school supplies and quality barongs, would it be easier for me to know where exactly to go if the instruction given to me was "look for Brgy. Hanford"?

This is the first time I've noticed it and I don't know if this sort of thing can be found in other areas of the metro. I hope not. But if it is, then what ever happened to that district's sense of pride? A passing motorist or tourist would not even be able to read, much more recall your place because all she would be able to remember is the name of the corporation whose name is much more important than the district, town, or city.

4 Responses so far.

  1. Ugh, those things make Manila look cheap. I really don't like seeing welcome signs, waiting sheds, etc., with names of politicians or donors.

  2. DX says:

    exactly, jasetiojanco. and of course, i'm sure nothing will be done with this.

    i guess it's ok if there's something like a "corporate branding" there kase i understand it brings in money (as to the question where the money is brought into, well...) but sana naman hindi sobrang blatant di ba?

    sobrang laki nagsusumigaw ang "HANFORD"

  3. Tsk tsk I am really disappointed that they let this happen. Ngayon lang ako nakakita ng welcome sign na mas malaki pa ang name ng isang brand kaysa sa mismong lugar. :(

    Hindi din naman maiiwasan na magkaroon ng corporate branding pero just like what you said DX sana hindi sobrang lantaran. Dahil sa sign mukhang Brgy. Hanford na tuloy ang lugar at hindi Brgy. 287. :(

  4. DX says:

    Tnx for the comment Karla.. i'm glad im not alone on this one.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read

Recent Posts


Wilson Juice 100 Playtest

Recent comments

Get Recent Comments Widget
Twitter Bird Gadget