LIFESTYLE
Freeway X BenCab National Artist Collection launched
TENNIS
Review: Babolat Propulse 4
TRAVEL
#WhyILove Cathay Pacific Premium Economy
TRAVEL
Mirabell Palace and Gardens in Salzburg
Photography
On jewellery (or jewelry) photography
DEX N MUT: BEST BULALO IN TOWN
Bulalo with rice all you can
Posted by Dexter Matilla - - 0 comments

Ten hours of tennis. 59-59 all in the fifth set. How do you write about a match that has broken not just Wimbledon, but tennis records all over the world? You just can't.

I stayed up late in the morning (Manila time) just to wait and see if the deserving victor would be deserving of the win. But John Isner and Nicolas Mahut have both agreed that they could no longer continue playing and that they would continue their match tomorrow.

There were moments in the match when I just wished it would be over. I'd root for Mahut because he still seemed energetic and seemed that he really wanted to win the match, especially after jumping for dear life--and falling flat on his stomach--in trying to return a backhand smash by Isner.

But then there were moments I'd cheer for Isner because even though he seemed sluggish and wanted to just give up, he'd come up with a booming ace--even on his second serve!

The physical fitness coach of these two guys must be so good and so proud after last night. I mean, how can the body go on playing at such levels? I once played five hours of tennis without pausing for a decent food and as soon as I got home, I felt like I was going to puke.

After the tournament officials agreed to suspend the match, both players were interviewed on Court 18, which had already filled up with spectators the likes of which the court probably has never seen before.

(Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images)

Mahut: He's (Isner) just a champ. We're fighting like we never did before. Someone has to win so we'll have to come back tomorrow to find out who wins the match.

(Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images)

Isner: Nothing like this will ever happen again. Ever. I don't know what to say. He's serving fantastic, I'm serving fantastic. I'd like to see the stats.

Trust me, you're not alone on that one, John.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read

Recent Posts


Wilson Juice 100 Playtest

Recent comments

Get Recent Comments Widget
Twitter Bird Gadget