LIFESTYLE
Freeway X BenCab National Artist Collection launched
TENNIS
Review: Babolat Propulse 4
TRAVEL
#WhyILove Cathay Pacific Premium Economy
TRAVEL
Mirabell Palace and Gardens in Salzburg
Photography
On jewellery (or jewelry) photography
DEX N MUT: BEST BULALO IN TOWN
Bulalo with rice all you can
Posted by Dexter Matilla - - 0 comments



So who’s afraid of the new tennis rackets from the brand with the three stripes? A lot apparently. Ever since I saw the rackets in one of the Adidas concept stores, I’ve always wanted to know how the rackets would perform compared to the more established brands I’ve used and reviewed before.

I’ve seen three models of the Barricade line (Barricade Tour, Barricade Tour Light, and Barricade) and never have I seen anyone with an Adidas racket in any of the places I’ve played at since the rackets were first released some months back. This had me wondering why. Thankfully, the Barricade version found its way to my waiting hands. Hopefully, after this review, I won’t be the only one loving this relative “newcomer.”

Adidas has made rackets before—wooden rackets that is. Tennis greats Ivan Lendl and Illie Nastase were players who used Adidas rackets and I haven’t been able to read up why the brand ceased making then but its history is something I’d be interested in writing about.

The first thing I noticed about the racket is that it’s light at around 11 oz. I’ve been experiencing some muscle pain in my right arm but that miraculously (miracle-worker?) went away from the moment I swung the Adidas Barricade. It feels weird calling the racket Barricade since I’m used to that name being used for the shoe. I don’t know if it’s because of the PST (Power Structure Technology) but I do know from using the racket that it Adidas must be on to something with this one. According to their press release, the PST are structures that improve torsional stability, thus, resulting in an added pop in the player’s shots.

What I don’t like about light rackets is that they just feel too light that. I’ve been using the Wilson KFactor 90 for the past two years and I love how much control and spin I’m able to produce with my groundstrokes despite its weight. To my surprise, this lighter Adidas Barricade enables me to generate enough power with little effort, thus helping me effectively put the ball away. If I were to put it simply, if I wanted heavy topspin shots that have lots of control, the KFactor 90 would be it. If I wanted flat and powerful shots with enough control, then the Adidas Barricade is my definite choice. There’s also the lesser muscle strain that I get from the Adidas Barricade.

Serving with the Adidas Barricade is such a pleasure. The pop that I get is just too awesome for words. Wide angle serves from the deuce court have never been easier with this baby. I’m sure I’m starting to sound like a fanboy but I haven’t even gotten to the volleys yet. The overgrip that came with the racket has just the right tackiness for me although it being white, it got dirty fast but hey, who am I to complain with the results I get? Hitting forehand and backhand volleys have not been this sweet before. Perhaps I’ve been too used with the KFactor 90 that I was contented I’m able to at least block the ball when I approach the net. With Adidas Barricade’s 95 sq. in. head size, I just rediscovered the wonders of a good net play.



Surprisingly, my backhand felt awkward with this racket and I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s because of the sudden change in the weight. Maybe this one takes getting used to but all things said, the pros more than outweigh this single setback. If it isn’t that obvious yet, this is one racket that has me seriously thinking about switching. Not to mention how good it would look if I get to buy a full Adidas tennis outfit to match.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Read

Recent Posts


Wilson Juice 100 Playtest

Recent comments

Get Recent Comments Widget
Twitter Bird Gadget